How can we help you
At The Hummingbird Centre we endeavour to provide you with an experience that is empowering. One important element of therapy involves helping you to understand the causes of your problems and to learn tools and strategies to change. Another important element is forming a warm and respectful relationship with a therapist. This can provide a space away from the everyday pressures of your life in which to explore and understand yourself, and to gain new perspectives and vantage points on your life.
We offer warm compassionate client-based therapies with a strong evidence base to meet the individual needs of our clients. We welcome children and adults.
Our psychologists at The Hummingbird Centre can offer the following services including, but are not limited to:
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Relaxation Training
- Sleep Hygiene
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Perinatal psychology assessment and interventions
- Schema Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Self-compassion therapy
- Trauma-Focused CBT
- Play Therapy
- Cool kids program
- Adolescent coping with the HSC
- Circle of Security group programs
- Emotion coaching
- Wait Watch Wonder attachment therapy
- Therapeutic/reparative parenting
- Clinical Supervision
- Staff and Service training
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) assessment & treatment
- Child Cognitive Assessment
Perinatal Mental Health
The Hummingbird Centre has a Perinatal mental health clinic for treatment of a wide range of difficulties that commonly impact our adjustment to parenting, including difficulties such as:
- Antenatal anxiety and depression
- Postnatal anxiety and depression
- Childbirth preparation
- Birth trauma
- Sleep-related anxiety
- Couples conflict
- Infant deaths, miscarriages, trouble conceiving
- Attachment and bonding
As clinicians and parents, we understand the intense demands of raising a family!
Perinatal Group Programs
We also have some focus groups to help families across all stages of growth:
Bring the Baby Home
A parenting preparation group for new parents.
A play and interaction group for babies aged up to 12 months that supports strong relationships and facilitates optimal child development.
Turning into Kids
Emotion coaching to help kids and parents emotionally self-regulate.
- Postnatal depression and Anxiety group
- Circle of Security parenting group
At The Hummingbird Centre we can facilitate the follow kinds of groups with multiple participants:
- Antenatal and Postnatal Depression
- Circle of Security
- Parenting an emotionally regulated child
- Mindfulness and meditation
- Self-compassionate mothers group
- Therapeutic parenting group (for kinship carers; foster and adoptive parents).
- Transforming Teen Anxiety
The Hummingbird Centre is in a handy location close to local shops and public transport. You can find us in Warners Bay, just 15 minutes from Newcastle. Make an appointment today with one of our Psychologists or Paediatric Therapists on (02) 4947 2412.